Click or Scan to Donate NOW
Mindsolutions is working to offer the SENSORY ROOM
Mindsolutions’ current project focus is to offer the Sensory Room to all our clients in 2021.
Sensory Regulation for therapy sessions.
Sensory rooms help teach children with autism and other behavioral health challenges to regulate their bodies in a way that allows them to achieve success in the community. For example, using a sensory “snack” of vestibular movement (linear or rotary swinging) or heavy work/deep movement (through obstacle courses or gross motor movement) can help clients to achieve a calming sensory effect. Improved focus and information processing can make a significant impact on their ability not only to learn, but in how they engage with their providers and family. And, for children who are non-verbal and also struggling with behavioral challenges, being able to sign that they need access to this type of stimulation is an important step toward learning to advocate for themselves. For many children, the issues involved with effective communication, social interaction and comprehension result in atypical behaviors that make it difficult for them to focus and thrive in everyday settings.
What are the benefits of sensory rooms for children with autism who are deaf and/or non-verbal?
1. Children gain access to appropriate sensory stimulation and their bodies learn how to respond appropriately to the stimulation.
2. Sensory rooms can enhance learning through occupational therapy (OT) or adult-directed play, which engages different areas of the brain, leading to improved information retention.
3. Time in a sensory room helps children improve their visual, auditory, and tactile processing, as well as fine and gross motor skills.
4. By providing a sense of calm and comfort, sensory rooms help children learn to self-regulate their behaviors, which ultimately improves focus.
5. Sensory Rooms enable individuals to complete routine tasks such as brushing their teeth or putting away their toys, and allows them to sit, focus, and successfully participate in activities such as family mealtime.
A sensory room—a therapeutic space with a variety of equipment that provides students with special needs with personalized sensory input—helps these children calm and focus themselves so they can be better prepared for learning and interacting with others. Time in a sensory room helps children improve their visual, auditory, and tactile processing, as well as fine and gross motor skills.
Mindsolutions is working to offer your family this service.